An ideal weight calculator for adults is the next step once you came to know about your Body Mass Index ( BMI, ). The calculator will help you in deciding the ideal weight for you to target.
Ideal Weight Calculator
This calculator quickly determines your ideal body weight with minimum input of your height and sex. We have built the ideal weight calculator for both types of measurement unit-English that is prevalent in USA and Metric system that runs in UK and common wealth countries.
What are the four ideal weight formulas?
Our ideal body weight calculator uses four different formulas to find your ideal weight, as well as giving you your BMI . While the four formulas listed below give you only one number that you should be aiming for, BMI gives you a certain weight range you should be in.
Excerpt from Wikipedia on ideal weight calculation
The most common estimation of IBW is by the Devine formula; other models exist and have been noted to give similar results. Other methods used in estimating the ideal body weights are body mass index and the Hamwi method. The IBW is not the perfect fat measurement as it does not show the fat or muscle percentage in one’s body. For example, athletes’ results show that they are overweight when they are actually very fit and healthy. Machines like the dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) can accurately measure the percentage and weight of fat, muscle, and bone in a body.
The Devine formula for calculating ideal body weight in adults is as follows:
- Male ideal body weight = 50 kilograms (110 lb) + 0.9 kilograms (2.0 lb) × (height (cm) − 152)
- Female ideal body weight = 45.5 kilograms (100 lb) + 0.9 kilograms (2.0 lb) × (height (cm) − 152)
The Hamwi method is used to calculate the ideal body weight of the general adult:
- Male ideal body weight = 48 kilograms (106 lb) + 1.1 kilograms (2.4 lb) × (height (cm) − 152)
- Female ideal body weight = 45.4 kilograms (100 lb) + 0.9 kilograms (2.0 lb) × (height (cm) − 152)
Other Formulas are
The Robinson formula for finding the ideal weight of the an adult:
- Male ideal body weight = 52 kg + 1.9 kg per every inch over 5 feet
- Female ideal body weight = 49 kg + 1.7 kg per every inch over 5 feet
The Miller formula for finding the ideal weight of the an adult:
- Male ideal body weight = 56.2 kg + 1.41 kg per every inch over 5 feet
- Female ideal body weight = 53.1 kg + 1.36 kg per every inch over 5 feet
If you need to convert weight from one types of measurement units to another , you can use our weight converter.