BMR Calculator or Basal Metabolic Rate Calculator provides an easy way to find out the calories your body burns while at rest. This calculator also incorporates and provides your BMR as per the Harris-Benedict formula which is a standard modification of the BMR to determine your daily calorie requirements.
What is BMR ?
Wikipedia defines Basal metabolic rate (BMR) as the rate of energy expenditure per unit time by endothermic animals at rest. It is reported in energy units per unit time ranging from watt (joule/second) to ml O2/min or joule per hour per kg body mass J/(h·kg). It is estimated that a person’s BMR accounts for roughly 60 to 75% of your daily calorie expenditure.
- Liver: 25%
- Brain: 19%
- Skeletal Muscle: 18%
- Kidneys: 10%
- Heart: 7%
- Other Organs: 19%
BMR is affected by the intrinsic factors like weight, height, surface area, gender, body composition, body temperature, age, hormone levels, and overall health. So it varies person to person
- Metabolic rates increase with an increase in body weight, height, and surface area.
- Metabolic rates are lower in fat tissues than muscle tissue.
- Metabolic rates are lower in women than men.
- Metabolic rates decrease with age.
- Metabolic rates increase with an increase in body temperature.
- Metabolic rates vary in response to T4 hormone levels. T4 is the key hormone released by your thyroid glands and has a significant effect on body weight.
- Metabolic rates increase with a decrease in overall health.
What is the Harris-Benedict formula?
Our BMR calculator includes computation of modified BMR based on the Harris–Benedict equation which is used for determining the individual’s BMR based on an individual’s activity level. The modified BMR as per the Harris-Benedict equation is the approximate daily kilocalorie intake to maintain current body weight. The Harris-Benedict equation helps a lot in an effort to weight loss by reducing the calorie intake from the estimated BMR found out through the HB equation.
Have you tested our BMI calculator for men & women